Lessons (in person/online)
I offer lessons in double bass, electric bass, western European music theory (including UK graded exams), jazz theory and harmony, composition and improvisation. I am accepting students at all levels and ages, from new starters to professional musicians. Each student receives tailored lessons as well as additional audio/video feedback between scheduled lessons (free – on request).
As well as more general instrumental/composition lessons, I also specialise in some of the following areas:
- double bass posture, physicality, sound production, arco (bow) technique, set-up, extended techniques
- purchase of double basses and other string instruments
- using creative limitations to develop improvisation and composition practise, ideas and confidence
- free improvisation as a soloist and in group contexts
- the Great American Songbook repertoire (learning, memorising, listening, improvising)
- interpretation of written material
- self-releasing, freelancing, performance practise, collaboration best practise
We can do a free 15 minute consultation (phone/Skype/Zoom) to discuss what you’d like to develop during the lessons, or you can also contact me by email here. Likewise, if you just need a one off refresher on a specific thing, this is also possible.
My teaching experience is as follows:
- 10 years private tuition of double bass, electric bass, bass ukulele
- Senior Lecturer at Leeds Conservatoire (view faculty profile), teaching contemporary improvisation and coordinating/teaching collaborative composition, as well as work in the Junior Department and with Actor Musicians
- Workshop leader for Jazzlines (Town Hall Symphony Hall Birmingham) and Make The Paint Dance (Leeds), freelance teacher with Harrogate Music School
I have a DBS check (Führungszeugnis in Germany) and am available in person (Corona restrictions permitting) in Neukölln, Berlin or Hunslet, Leeds. I also have a full professional online teaching set up including mic, pro Zoom account etc. I hold Recognised Teacher Status from the University of Hull, Bachelor of Music (Jazz) from Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, Master of Music from Jazz Institut Berlin (Udk/HfM Hanns Eisler Berlin), and deliver lessons in English or German.
I have a home studio set up including Ableton, WA47 mic and RME interface, and am always glad to take part in new collaborations, remote recordings, band and solo projects in a variety of genres. See releases and video for more info/examples. I am also available for sound design and composition projects – contact me for rates or with any other questions ->